google calendar

Monday, October 12, 2009

COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN / chemical disruption

Hello everyone,

I went into print yesterday and was totally shocked by a breakdown of our system.

The outside door to the hall was locked, but inside our doka door was unlocked and the key to the blue cabinet was in the cabinet (i.e. unlocked). Mariken says she might've forgotten the blue cabinet key, but not the doka door + that it could've been Henry looking at the ventilation???

BUT THE OTHER MAIN ISSUE: Dieter was sitting full of chemistry and water for 9, yes -- NINE days. The levels of developer and blix were too low and there was dust floating all over the surface, the developer rollers were super-sticky. I had to empty the waste tanks to small bottles, then drain the machine, clean everything, dry the tanks, and mix new chemistry for three hours = I very unexpectedly lost half my day of printing, together with the unlocked doors, I was pretty upset.

If I look at the Google calendar, it seems that Mariken was the last to print on 2 October. She says that Jeroen was supposed to come in a few days later to print contact sheets, but there's no reccord on the Google calendar. It seems now that no one signed up between 2 and 11 October, so the chemistry should've been removed and the water tanks emptied. The other possibility is that Jeroen was signed up, but then changed his mind, removed his name, but didn't think about the chemistry.

This is a problem.

And with no laptop to access the blog, NO ONE has even written any notes in the LOG BOOK in the doka since the beginning of September!

I guess we will be able to talk about this in person at the upcoming meeting on September 19.


We need to order more STARTER for the developer urgently! (who's gonna call AAP and pick some up?) We can't even mix new developer for the one liter replenisher bottle.
For the rest, we still have enough chemistry to mix ONE, maybe two fresh batches of chemistry for Dieter (7.5 liters each time).


We need to buy:

lots of sponges
gaffer tape (the roll disappeared)
dishwashing liquid / aswasmiddel



EVERYONE needs to collect plastic bottles
and we need to take the many full bottles of chemical waste to the "Klein Chemisch Afval"

in my neighborhood (Oud-West) the next possibility is the week of 2-6 November. http://www.oudwest.amsterdam.nl/wonen_en_leven/oud-west_schoon/artikelen_oud-west/wanneer_komt_de I checked out the possibilities in Oost some time ago, it's only two or three times a year. The other option is to drive it to Seineweg (or wherever Daniƫlle took it last time).

I got an extension cord from Maartje and hooked up Manuela's big blue paper cutter machine. It's now located underneath Dik. I tried out some test strips from a roll with a light leak. She had told us that the counter was off, but by my tests it's only 1mm off max, I found it accurate. The only problem is the button is not reliably functioning. Sometimes I had to press it ten or more times before the paper would shoot out, so. . . . . repair? I left the machine empty now, there is NO roll inside.

Yesterday, I also tried to fix the lock on the door to Manoah's. There were only two screws and it wasn't even extended into the wooden door frame, i.e. not a lock at all! I showed Felix + Lutz' space to two of my Rietveld students yesterday, and saw how there are still things to think about for safety: they asked me about break-ins, etc. then I saw that we are still "sharing" with Manoah, not really a secure space with the outside hall door lock, etc. maybe we can talk about this further at the meeting. . . .


ok, that's it, see you next week. . . .
*Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment